Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start?
- All the details are listed on our Getting Started page.
When can I get started?
- Right now! One caveat is that until you complete the Fundamentals course; you will be limited to Fundamentals, or one of our Free Classes. Once you have completed the 6 required Fundamentals classes, you may begin taking WOD classes, Olympic Lifting/Advanced Skills class and Strength Class. You can sign up for a free class here, or an upcoming fundamentals class, or private fundamentals class here.
Do I need experience or some minimum level of fitness?
- Our Fundamentals course consists of 6 classes where we will be coaching you in several aspects, including CrossFit philosophies, nutrition, body weight exercises, the slow lifts (squat, deadlift and press), metabolic conditioning (a.k.a. “MetCon”), olympic lifting (clean, jerk, snatch). We will also be ramping you up to the intensity of our normal all levels WOD classes.
How much does the fundamentals class cost?
- The Fundamentals Course is $150
I heard CrossFit is a cult
- No, if you have to call it something, call it a tribe or better yet, a family. Cults tend to follow blindly to a leader, tribes/Families work together for the group’s benefit. We do tend to be passionate about CrossFit because it works so well and for seemingly all body types and walks of life. What makes us different from the normal corporate chain, or “globo”, gym experience is that we develop a community spirit based on encouraging each other to succeed. We support and push each other in our efforts to achieve our goals. There is never any shame in finishing dead last in a work out as you’ve already beaten everyone that decided to stay on the couch that day. We are all in this together and that’s what makes CrossFit so addictive to so many people. Besides, you will be amazed at your new level of fitness and your awesome new body. You may find yourself spouting the virtues of what you found not long after you start as well!
Why are you better than my gym?
- The business model for most franchised gyms (we call them “globo-gyms”) is they want you to sign up and never come in. You may get a tour of the gym, or a quick overview of the equipment with a trainer, but, you’re on your own after the first one-hour session. They aren’t there to ensure technique is good when the weight gets heavy or you get tired.
- Further, you are as accountable to us as we are to you! We believe in earning your loyalty, that’s why we don’t charge initiation fees. WE WILL EARN YOUR BUSINESS EVERY DAY. If you haven’t come in in a week, we notice. So will the members you’ve grown accustomed to working out with. Expect a call or an email, or even a friendly call out on Facebook, if you haven’t been coming in! Of course, there will ALWAYS be a coach watching form in our classes. This leads to less injuries and the confidence to best your previous efforts.
For the kind of money you are asking for, why don't I just find a personal trainer?
- You could do that, but you’d end up paying a great deal more. Let’s say you find someone that’s willing to train you for only $45/session, and we’ll even go as far to say that they have every piece of equipment that you’ll find at CrossFit Bentonville. Even if you only go 3 times a week (we encourage 4-6 days/week), that’s $540-$1080 per month, WELL over our price (link to pricing page). Also, you probably wouldn’t get the camaraderie, competitive push, and/or the support that you’ll feel working with others in a group setting. If you’re finished first, you’re still expected to support everyone else that is still working. So, when you’re done, you’re not really done!
I heard from my gym that CrossFit can hurt you, is this true?
- Yes, and no. First, consider the source, they don’t want you to leave and they’ll plant fear to further their gains. OK, so onto answering the actual issue, not dodging it. ANYTHING you do in life can injure you if you don’t do it correctly, or haven’t taken into consideration your level of fitness, flexibility or health. If you’re spending too much time on the couch right now, that’s hurting you, too! Runner’s get shin splints, tennis players get tennis elbows, strength trainers get strains, basketball players get sprained ankles, couch potatoes get obesity, high blood pressure and coronaries. At CrossFit Bentonville we will instill Technique BEFORE Intensity. We will keep you safe by having a watchful eye on you during your entire WOD. By increasing your strength and flexibility, we will actually make it harder for you to get hurt! CrossFit done properly, is both safe and potent.
What makes it so difficult from all the other stuff out there (park bootcamps, P90X, gyms) that tells me it will get me in shape?
- Admittedly, most of our functional movements and exercises aren’t ground-breaking or new. However, the way we mix them up and combine that with knowledgeable eyes-on coaching, mobility and nutrition advice is NEW. If you’re working out at home, you risk bad technique and probably not pushing your strength potential. At an ordinary outdoor bootcamp, they may vary exercises, but gaining real strength may be an issue as well as having a certified coach teaching. Gyms, may give you all the great equipment, but can you drop it if it gets too heavy? Or have the ability to gauge your intensity? Is the coaching affordable? Is there enough equipment available and is laid out so that you can maintain intensity safely? Is anyone talking to you about nutrition? Simply stated: our dose of exercise programming is the most potent out there. Why do you have to wait to get in shape?
I heard that CrossFit is too challenging for someone like me. Is that true?
- One of our favorite quotes is this: “If you think you can’t do something, you can’t.” The person who told you CrossFit was too challenging for you might not be up for the challenge, but I’m guessing you’re reading this because other options have failed you in the past. The answer to your question is a resounding “No.” One of the great things about CrossFit is that it is infinitely scalable, which means that we can tailor any movement we ask our athletes to do to meet your current level of fitness. Every new athlete will talk to the Head Coach about your health history, current body issues, and your short and long term goals so that he can help you reach them. Turns out that both Olympians and Grandmas can benefit from CrossFit, the only difference is the prescribed scale for the movements.
What does WOD refer to? I hear everyone using it.
- WOD, or Workout of the Day, is the list of exercises for a given day. Since CrossFit is constantly varied, everyone is always anticipating what tomorrow’s will be.
What does Scalable mean?
- It means we can adapt the work out to suit your, or anyone’s, level of fitness and ability. Scaled according to your ability!
Is it true that CrossFit is only for elite athletes, firefighter, military and police?
- Absolutely not. Anyone can gain from the benefits of CrossFit. It is true that CrossFit was initially designed as a fitness program for firefighters, military and police who needed to have a level of fitness to be ready for anything (what we call the unknowable and unknown). This level of fitness allows them to not only be able to save their own lives, but other lives as well. Everyone can benefit from being stronger, faster and more functional.
Is CrossFit for athletes only?
- CrossFit is for EVERYONE! We focus on functional movements. These functional movements are essential human movements that we use every day. Any movement and any workout can be scaled to fit each individual’s needs. Bottom line, everyone will benefit from CrossFit…. even grandma.
Will I get bulky doing CrossFit?
- This is the biggest fear that most women have when exercising. That is why you mainly see women on the cardio machines in the gym and not in the weight room. Women need to incorporate strength training more than men because they are at higher risk for osteoporosis. Your bones are not going to get stronger by hitting the elliptical every day.
- Also, testosterone is required for a person to develop large muscles. Women have 1/10 the testosterone as men which makes it impossible to develop huge muscles naturally. The huge and buff women you see in body building magazines are taking testosterone injections, eating a diet geared towards “bulking”, and working very differently than we do here at CrossFit Bentonville. Have no fear of getting bulky, we promise you it won’t happen; just google search CrossFit Women and take a look.
- CrossFit will actually give women the look they are after. Our program will help you burn fat and increase lean muscle mass. This results in a lean and “toned” body much like a dancer, and not like a bodybuilder.
- Read this helpful article (Link https://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym ) if you still are truly concerned.
I can't do CrossFit because I have back problems and/or knee problems
- Many people hurt or tweak their lower backs, knees, shoulders, etc. and are afraid to exercise those areas. The problem with avoiding those previously hurt areas forever is that they never get strengthened. This is disaster waiting to happen. You create muscular imbalances by training other areas of your body and avoiding the problem area. You become stronger everywhere else but at the same time that problem area gets weaker in comparison. This actually increases your chance for that area to be reinjured.
- CrossFit can actually be used as rehab for injuries. Many people have come to us, unable to Squat (get yourself up from a seated position), Deadlift (picking up your groceries), Press (putting something up on a shelf) CrossFit teaches you how to move properly and exercise with correct mechanics, which in turn helps you regain functional capacity.
The workouts you post are too hard, I could never do that
- Have no fear, 97% of the people at our gym cannot either! The WOD is made to challenge an elite athlete. But that same workout is scaled to YOUR skill level. When you start, you will be doing a modified version of the WOD. We change the load (weights), repetitions, rounds, and distances to fit your abilities. Modifying the WODs will prevent you from over exerting yourself and prevent overwhelming soreness.
I'm really fit and would like to skip the Fundamentals class and come to the Workout of the Day (WOD) class, can I do that?
- No. There are no drop-ins to the WOD classes unless you are currently a member at another CrossFit affiliate and have contacted us ahead of time or if you are choosing to attend one of our Free Class days. (Limit 3 free visits) All New members must complete our CrossFit Fundamentals (6 Classes) before being allowed to take WOD classes. If you were formally a member at another CrossFit affiliate you may test out with a trainer who confirms that you can safely move in ALL CrossFit movements.
What if I can't fit one of the Fundamentals Classes into my schedule? Do you do Private Workshops?
- For those of you with uncompromising work schedules you can do the whole course privately. Just click here to set it up.
I have/had an injury. Can I still do CrossFit?
- Many of our members have successfully used CrossFit to rehabilitate from many types of injuries. We believe the best route to long-term health is to learn perfect form on functional movements. Our coaches are always happy to work with you to scale and substitute exercises, to tailor workouts to your abilities. However, CrossFit Bentonville cannot offer you specific medical advice, we advise that you consult your physician before starting this (or any other) exercise program.
I’m just visiting Bentonville, and am an experienced CrossFitter visiting from another affiliate. Can I come workout?
- We welcome CrossFitters from all over the world. Please give us a heads up prior to your visit by emailing us so that we can advise you of our WOD schedule and rates for drop in.
I have relocated from another area or have moved into your neighborhood. Can I visit and start WOD classes?
- CrossFitters from other affiliates are welcome to attend our WOD classes. Before allowing you to skip the Fundamentals Class, you will need to be able to exhibit good knowledge and safety in the basics of CrossFit. All you need to do is schedule a private session (link to private training form) with one of our coaches to test out of our Fundamentals progam.
Do you take credit cards, cash, and personal checks?
- All memberships are either Cash, check or ACH (see pricing). We offer a discounted rate on all memberships set up on auto draft from a checking or savings account. This can be setup using your account and routing number from your bank.
Can I have a receipt?
- Yes you can: A receipt will be emailed to the address we have on file
Can I sign up for membership online through your website?
How do I sign up for a class now that I’m a member?
- You should have received an email welcoming you to CrossFit Bentonville. In that email is a link for you to save our AP to your smart phone. You can sign up through the Ap. If you have any questions, or did not receive this email, please talk to your coach and we will get this corrected ASAP
Is there a way for me to track my progress?
- CrossFit Bentonville uses WODhopper to help our athletes track their progress over time. Simply, log in your scores after each class into “today’s scoreboard” and the software will do the rest. You’ll also be able to see how you measure up against the rest of our community.